Hopetoun is committed to ensuring that your privacy is protected. Should we ask you to provide certain information by which you can be identified when using this website or otherwise, then you can be assured that it will only be used in accordance with this privacy statement.
Hopetoun may change this policy from time to time by updating this page. You should check this page from time to time to ensure that you are happy with any changes. This policy was created in 2009 and was last updated, and is effective from, 24 May 2018.
What we collect and why
We may collect the following information:
- Name (and job title if appropriate).
- Contact information including email address, postal address, telephone numbers.
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests.
- Other information relevant to customer surveys and/or offers.
- As a Client, working partner or tenant as information of ‘legitimate interest’ to enable us to effectively work with you and meet other legal obligations (including financial details for invoicing, contracts and payments).
- As a Staff Member/Volunteer/Education Club Member, as information of ‘legitimate interest’ to enable us to effectively work with you; maintain our legal responsibilities to you; financial details to enable payments of salaries and/or expenses; keep you informed with pertinent information regarding your status/relationship/duties/commitments with us.
- Photographs, as record and reference of our business, operations, events and activities.
What we do with the information we gather
We require this information to understand your needs and provide you with a better service and/or work with you effectively, and in particular for the following reasons:
- Internal record keeping / legitimate business use to allow us to work with you
- We may use the information to improve our products and services.
- We may periodically send promotional and informational emails about new products, special offers or other information which we think you may find interesting using the email address which you have provided if you have given us consent to do so.
- From time to time, we may also use your information to contact you for market research purposes. We may contact you by email, phone, fax or mail. We may use the information to customise the website according to your interests.
- Photographs are used for business reference, and we will only use photographs of you in this context for promotional purposes if we have your consent.
We are committed to ensuring that your information is secure. In order to prevent unauthorised access or disclosure we have put in place suitable physical, electronic and managerial procedures to safeguard and secure the information we collect online and by other means (e-mail, post, telephone).
A cookie is a small file which asks permission to be placed on your computer’s hard drive. Once you agree, the file is added and the cookie helps analyse web traffic or lets you know when you visit a particular site. Cookies allow web applications to respond to you as an individual. The web application can tailor its operations to your needs, likes and dislikes by gathering and remembering information about your preferences.
We use traffic log cookies to identify which pages are being used. This helps us analyse data about web page traffic and improve our website in order to tailor it to customer needs. We only use this information for statistical analysis purposes and then the data is removed from the system.
Overall, cookies help us provide you with a better website, by enabling us to monitor which pages you find useful and which you do not. A cookie in no way gives us access to your computer or any information about you, other than the data you choose to share with us.
You can choose to accept or decline cookies. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but you can usually modify your browser setting to decline cookies if you prefer. This may prevent you from taking full advantage of the website.
Links to other websites
Our website may contain links to other websites of interest. However, once you have used these links to leave our site, you should note that we do not have any control over that other website. Therefore, we cannot be responsible for the protection and privacy of any information which you provide whilst visiting such sites and such sites are not governed by this privacy statement. You should exercise caution and look at the privacy statement applicable to the website in question.
Controlling your personal information
You may choose to restrict the collection or use of your personal information in the following ways:
- If you have previously agreed to us using your personal information for direct marketing you may change your mind at any time by unsubscribing directly from our newsletters and promotional messages. For this, and personal information relating to other areas of our business and operation , you can also contact us via our contacts page on the website or by post telephone or email (Hopetoun House, South Queensferry, EH30 9SL / 0131 331 2451 / email@example.com).
- You may also request details of personal information which we hold about you under the General Data Protection Regulations by using the contact details above.
We will not sell or lease your personal information to any third parties. We will not share or distribute your personal information to third parties unless we have your permission to do so; are required by law to do so; or need to do so for legitimate business reasons (eg client and sub-contractor contact). We may use your personal information to send you information about third parties which we think you may find interesting or useful if you tell us that you wish this to happen.
If you believe that any information we are holding on you is incorrect or incomplete, please contact us as soon as possible, using the contact details above. We will promptly correct any information found to be incorrect.