Outlander at Hopetoun
We feel very privileged to be one of the many Scottish film locations for the TV series Outlander. Multiple locations within Hopetoun House and the grounds have been used throughout Season 1, 2, 3 and 4. Further afield on our Estate lies Midhope Castle which is the external location of the Fraser family home known as ‘Lallybroch’.
Outlander at Hopetoun House
Here are a few notable examples of scenes filmed within our stately home and grounds:
The House is the setting for the home of the Duke of Sandringham in Series 1. These scenes were filmed in the Red Drawing Room
- The Sea Trail and West Lawn to the rear of the House was the location for the dual between the Duke and the head of the McDonald clan.
- The rear steps of the house were the scene for a sword fight in Season 1
- The courtyard behind the Stables Tearoom features regularly as a Parisian street location in Series 2.
The House is open to the public from Easter until the last Sunday in September. Private arrangements for special pre-booked group visits may be possible by calling 0131 331 2451. More details on opening hours and admission prices can be found on our visitors page.
Midhope Castle – Outlander’s Lallybroch
Located on the wider Hopetoun Estate is Midhope Castle which is the location for fictional Lallybroch, the family home of character Jamie Fraser. Midhope Castle dates back to the 15th Century and although the exterior is relatively intact the castle is derelict inside. If you’d like to know more about the history of Midhope you can view/download our Midhope Brief History (PDF)
VISITING MIDHOPE CASTLE
*MIDHOPE IS CLOSED AND WILL RE-OPEN ON MONDAY 1st APRIL 2019*
The site is frequently subject to closures for estate activity, please check our closure dates.
There is a parking permit charge of £10 per small vehicle (up to 7 seats) and £40 per large vehicle (8-16 seats), this also includes campervans and 8 seater SUV’s. Larger coaches can be accommodated if pre-booked in advance and given alternative access instructions. Call 0131 331 9940 if this applies to your group.
Passes must be purchased before your arrival at Midhope from Hopetoun Farm Shop or from Hopetoun House Ticket Kiosk. Both are open daily and are located just a 5 minute drive away (download a map here (PDF).
Please note that passes will be checked by our parking attendant on arrival at Midhope Castle.
Due to the remote location we ask visitors to adhere to the following guidelines:
- Midhope Castle in not a visitor attraction therefore has no surrounding amenities or facilities ie/ toilets or catering.
- Please be aware that vehicle passes cannot be guaranteed. Access is often restricted for safety reasons due to farming works, estate activities or large events taking place on the surrounding Estate. Before making your way to the shop for a pass please check the list of restricted dates on the left hand side of this page (at the bottom on mobile version).
- The castle is located on a working farm. The track in uneven and there is a hill to the castle. The castle is short walk from the car park area.
- Parking is only permitted in the designated visitor parking area.
- Only Estate vehicles and local residents have permission to pass through to the castle area.
- Beyond the parking sign access is only permitted by foot and to the front and the exterior of the castle. The inside of the castle is derelict, unsafe and not used in any Outlander filming.
- For your personal safety please do not visit when it is dark as there is no street lighting in the vicinity of the Castle. Visits are restricted to 5pm in the summer months & 3pm in the winter months. Closed end of December and re-opens Monday 1 April 2019.
- There are residential properties and local businesses located next the castle. Please keep disturbance to a minimum and refrain from photographing any private or commercial properties in the vicinity.
- The use of drones for filming and photography is strictly forbidden on Hopetoun Estate without prior permission.
- The castle is located on private property and anyone visiting without a pass may be asked to leave.
- Dogs – if you are visiting with your pet, please ensure they are kept on a lead and under control at all times.
- Parking permits purchased from the Farm Shop will allow 10% off when visiting Hopetoun House & Grounds. Please present the permit at the Ticket Office to redeem your discount. Valid until the end of visitor season – last Sunday of September.
When collecting your vehicle pass you are welcome to browse Hopetoun Farm Shop which has a wonderful selection of Scottish produce and gifts including the new Outlander Kitchen cookery book and a unique blend of Hopetoun whisky. The shop proudly supplies both food props and catering supplies for Starz crew and cast when they’re here filming.